Your Daily Polling Update for Tuesday, July 6, 2021
BIDEN JOB APPROVAL: AVERAGE 50%
Down 3 from last week
RON’S COMMENT: Biden’s rating slips. Today’s average is based on four polls, ranging from 48% (Rasmussen) to 51% (Reuters). Biden’s disapproval rating averages 45% today (+2 since last week).
TEXAS: GOVERNOR 2022
Among voters statewide
Gov. Greg Abbott (R) over Matthew McConaughey (?): +1 (39-38)
Gov. Greg Abbott (R) over Beto O’Rourke (D): +12 (45-33)
RON’S COMMENT: This new poll shows incumbent Abbott barely ahead of actor McConaughey for governor of the nation’s second largest state. On the other hand, it shows Abbott leading O'Rourke by a much bigger margin. More data:
- McConaughey wins Democrats 56-15 and independents 39-29. Abbott wins Republicans 69-22. That's actually an improvement for Abbott since the April poll.
- McConaughey has not yet announced his plans. While he talks like a centrist, it’s not clear whether he’d run as a Democrat or independent, should he run.
- Abbott’s statewide job rating is 50% approve/36% disapprove.
- Abbott posts a lopsided 77-12 lead over former state Sen. Don Huffines in the Republican gubernatorial primary. Two additional Republicans are challenging Abbott in the primary: State party chair Allen West and Blaze TV host Chad Prather. Trump has endorsed Abbott.
- No major Democrat has announced for governor yet, although some say Beto O’Rourke remains a possibility. The former congressman’s rating among all Texas voters is 31% favorable/40% unfavorable; his 2020 presidential candidacy may have hurt him at home.
- In the Texas Republican primary for AG, incumbent Ken Paxton (R) leads Land Commissioner George P. Bush (son of Jeb) 42-34, with a third candidate receiving 4%. Paxton has been accused by former associates of misuse of office.
- Sen. Ted Cruz (R) rates 45% favorable/48% unfavorable among all voters.
- Sen. Jon Cornyn (R) rates 37% favorable/21% unfavorable among all voters.
- Interesting to note: 52% of Democratic primary voters in the Lone Star state regard themselves as progressive and 20% think of themselves as centrist.
- Is there widespread voter fraud in Texas? 46% of voters say no, 26% say yes.
BIDEN ON THE ISSUES
Among adults nationwide
Do you approve or disapprove of the way Biden is handling….
% = Approve/Disapprove
The coronavirus pandemic: 62%/33%
The immigration situation at the U.S.-Mexico border: 33%/51%
The issue of crime in this country: 38%/48%
RON’S COMMENT: Biden’s rating on the pandemic is carrying his popularity. On the other hand, border and crime issues are dragging him down…. If the public does not perceive clear progress on the border at some point, this issue promises to be a big problem for Democrats in 2022…. This Washington Post-ABC News poll also finds that 59% of Americans believe crime is either an extremely or very serious problem and an additional 32% say it’s moderately serious. In next year's election, expect less talk about defunding the police and criminal justice reform and more talk about public safety.... Also, a new NPR/PBS/Marist poll finds that:
- 50% of voters nationwide approve of Biden’s handling of the economyand 45% disapprove. His handling of foreign policy is 46% approve/44% disapprove.
- 51% of voters think the U.S. role on the world stage has been strengthened by Biden’s decisions as president, while 42% say it has weakened.
DEMOCRACY: ALIVE AND WELL?
Among voters nationwide
Do you think democracy in the United States is alive and well or democracy in the United States is under threat?
Alive and well: 27%
Under threat: 69%
RON’S COMMENT: 14% of Republicans, 38% of Democrats, 30% of independents, 37% of those 18-44 and 22% of those 45+ say democracy in the United States is alive and well.... Wish they had also asked: "Do you think democracy in the United States is alive and well ...or... do you think democracy in the United States is broken?"
PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN
Among adults nationwide
How proud are you to be an American?
Extremely proud: 44%
Very proud: 23%
Moderately proud: 15%
Slightly proud: 8%
Not at all proud: 6%
RON’S COMMENT: Nationwide, two-thirds say they're extremely or very proud to be an American.... Demographics: 64% of Democrats, 85% of Republicans, 59% of independents, 55% of Blacks, 57% of Hispanics, 59% of women, 77% of men, 51% of single women, 70% of married women, 36% of 18-24-year-olds, 59% of 25-44-year-olds, 75% of 45-64-years-olds and 86% of those 65+ say they are either extremely or very proud to be an American. Note that the only group falling below 50% are 18-24-year-olds.
Who was the only U.S. president born on the 4thof July?
(See answer below)
Presidential job rating average based on recent nationwide polls.
PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN: I&I/TIPP/TechnoMetrica,June 30-July 2
TEXAS: Dallas Morning News/UT-Tyler, June 22-29
BIDEN ON THE ISSUES: Washington Post-ABC News, June 27-30
DEMOCRACY: NPR/PBS/Marist, June 22-29
Publication schedule: Lunchtime Politics publishes when important new polling data is available, usually at least once a week. When we get closer to the next round of elections, we will resume daily publication. Thanks to all our readers and best of health, Ron
Subscription note: If you ever stop receiving Lunchtime Politics, check your spam or junk folders. Sometimes, for mysterious reasons, the newsletter may re-route to there. Please know that we will never take you off our subscriber list unless you ask us to do so.
Calvin Coolidge. He was born July 4, 1872.