Your Daily Polling Update for Tuesday, February 23, 2021
BIDEN JOB APPROVAL: AVERAGE 56%
Down 1 from last Tuesday
RON’S COMMENT: Today’s average is based on five polls, ranging from 50% (Rasmussen) to 62% (Politico). Without these extremes it would be 57%.... Biden’s disapproval rating averages 40% today (+1 from last Tuesday).
DESIRE GROWS FOR THIRD PARTY
Among adults nationwide
Results from recent nationwide Gallup poll:
- 62% of Americans say a third political party is needed, that’s up from 57% in September.
- 63% of Republicans, 46% of Democrats and 70% of independents say a third party is needed.
- Democrats want their party to go in a more liberal direction (34%), as opposed to 25% who want it to go in a more moderate one (25%). However, Democratic-leaning independents want the party to become more moderate, 42% to 35%.
- 68% of Republicans want Trump to be their party’s leader, while 31% want a new leader.
- 40% of Republicans want their party to become more conservative, while 34% want it to stay the same and 24% want it to become more moderate.
- According to the Gallup report: “The survey found Americans' favorable opinion of the Republican Party has declined to 37%, while 48% view the Democratic Party positively. The poll also shows 50% of U.S. adults identifying as political independents, the highest percentage Gallup has ever measured in a single poll. Gallup first asked about the need for a third party in 2003. At that time, most Americans did not think it was necessary, with 56% saying the parties were doing an adequate job representing the American people and 40% saying a third party was needed.”
- For the full Gallup report, read here
FLORIDA: 2024 REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION
Among Republican voters statewide in Florida
For GOP presidential nomination:
Ron DeSantis: 64%
Marco Rubio: 12%
Rick Scott: 10%
RON’S COMMENT: There are three possible GOP presidential contenders in Florida, and the one now leading the pack is the state’s strongly pro-Trump governor, DeSantis. Senators Rubio and Scott rate far behind. The poll, taken among Florida's Republican voters by Trump’s campaign pollster Tony Fabrizio, also finds that 67% of Republicans in the state believe DeSantis is the biggest Trump supporter of the three; Scott only receives 9% and Rubio gets 7%.... On Jan. 6, Rubio voted to certify the Electoral College vote count showing Joe Biden won the national election, while Scott voted against doing so.
Among voters nationwide
Are you satisfied with the coronavirus rollout in your area?
Satisfied with rollout: 59%
Dissatisfied with rollout: 41%
RON’S COMMENT: The poll find that 70% of Democrats are satisfied with the vaccine rollout in their area, while 50% of independents and 51% of Republicans agree.
BIDEN AND THE PANDEMIC
Among voters nationwide
Do you approve or disapprove of the job President Biden is doing on handling the coronavirus pandemic?
RON’S COMMENT: Though Biden's approval rating on handling the coronavirus pandemic continues to be high, it’s down 5 points since he entered the White House.
Who was the only person to be both a child and a parent of a U.S. president?
(See answer below)
Presidential job rating average based on recent nationwide polls.
VACCINE ROLLOUT, BIDEN AND THE PANDEMIC: Hill-HarrisX, Feb. 12-15
FLORIDA 2024 REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION: Fabrizio-Lee (R), Feb. 15-17
Publication schedule: Lunchtime Politics publishes when important new polling data is available, usually at least once a week. Thanks to all our readers and best of health, Ron
Subscription note: If you ever stop receiving Lunchtime Politics, check your spam or junk folders. Sometimes, for mysterious reasons, the newsletter may re-route to there. Please know that we will never take you off our subscriber list unless you ask us to do so.
John Scott Harrison.
He was the son of President William Henry Harrison and the father of President Benjamin Harrison.
John Scott Harrison served in the U.S. House from Ohio (1853-1857). After he died in 1878, his body was stolen by grave robbers (and eventually was found and returned).